Contemplating My YouTube Channel, Its 2nd Anniversary, The Very Recent Cautionary Tale, And Its Future (11/21/2023)

 

A pleasure to meet you... again. Reilly Hendrix here!

You're probably wondering why I've included chapters in this blog post. That's because this post is very long and I want to make it more navigatable for you. Hope it helps!

Ch. 1: Introduction

In case you didn't know who I am until just now, back in my day, specifically on November 17, 2021, I joined YouTube under the name "Pencil Artist Extras." I did it because of my passion for 2D animation and wanting to post my animations and video projects on YouTube. Although it's been three months since my last video, I didn't want to lose interest in this passion of mine.

Notice how I said, "didn't." Nowadays, I am completely unsure if I should even consider pursuing this. Why, you may ask? Well, the explanation I will give you is lengthy, but I assure you it's worth it.

Basically, it's because of a huge and unsettling dilemma currently happening on YouTube, specifically with two popular YouTubers. If you already know about this situation, you can skip ahead to Chapter 3.

Ch. 2: The Cautionary Tale

This dilemma stars two YouTubers, Jacksfilms and SSSniperWolf.

SSSSniperWolf, from what I could tell since I don't know or care about her, is a YouTuber who makes subpar, predictable, unconstructive reaction videos for the lowest common denominator. In fact, her reaction videos are so bad that she only makes them to reach the 8-minute mark to make a profit and to gain subscribers, no matter the consequences (e.g., not crediting the creators, defaming other YouTubers, committing crimes).

Jacksfilms, a YouTuber I admire more, has spent a time longer than SSSSSniperWolf making much better content, such as parodies, music videos, sketches, YIAY, JackAsk, and much, much more! Although he has about 30 million fewer subscribers than SSSSSSniperWolf, he is worth the watch!

Anyways, channel promotion aside, let's continue the story. On October 25, 2022, Jacksfilms devised the idea to create a parody YouTube account called JJJacksfilms. At first, it was meant to parody SSSSSSSniperWolf as a critique of bad YouTube reactions, but over time it became a movement to credit the creators. Almost every week on Twitch, Jacksfilms would critique SSSSSSSSniperWolf's reaction videos, play Bingo about her videos since they were so predictable, credit the TikTok and other creators she reacts to, and overall just have a good time. After watching a few of JJJacksfilm's videos, I had a good time. I hoped this would never end.

Unfortunately, all good things have to come to an end. On October 13, 2023, SSSSSSSSSniperWolf made a decision that could potentially end her career. She could have done something different to express her feelings to Jacksfilms, like DMing him or joining his Twitch streams. But no. Instead, she took the completely illegal approach and DOXXED JACKSFILMS' HOUSE (specifically, on Instagram, which plays a role later on). This shook Jacksfilms' to the core the moment he saw this. Even though SSSSSSSSSSniperWolf decided to delete the post eventually and tried her "best" to "apologize," Jacksfilms and a bunch of other YouTubers called out on her heinous act. To prove this claim and to further legitimize this story I am sharing with you, here are a couple of videos:


You're done with the videos? Okay, good.

Anyways, during this turn of events, a lot of people called out to YouTube to get rid of SSSSSSSSSSSniperWolf for violating their TOS at the time of the crime. However, after hesitating to answer a few days after the crime (for some reason) YouTube's response made the situation even worse. Not only did they not give two sh*ts about it, but they also gave SSSSSSSSSSSSniperWolf temporary demonetization (which is bad) and also changed their TOS so anything that happens outside their platform is not their problem (which is even worse).

After this turn of events, Jacksfilms decided to turn JJJacksfilms into a channel promoting small creators and critiquing their works. Although I haven't gotten into watching these videos, it's good to know he is playing it safe to prevent further crimes from SSSSSSSSSSSSSniperWolf.

Ch. 3: The Few Decisions

At this point, I have finished this cautionary tale even though further complications from these two YouTubers might arise in the future (but we can never know for sure, so let's not dwell on that too much). You probably thinking at this point "Okay, yeah, this is a pretty dark and screwed-up story, but what does this have to do with the future of your YouTube channel?" Well, if you read between the lines, you'll get my reason, which is so evidently clear.

YouTube, once a fun and exciting place to upload videos, has lost its sense of traditional roots and, in this day and age, cares more about how much money a specific YouTuber makes, and basically making money in general, than the safety and care of said YouTuber. In other words, YOUTUBE IS NO LONGER SAFE OR PROFITABLE FOR ITS CREATORS.

With all that said, I need your help on a few decisions I need to make about the future of my YouTube channel. I won't force you to make this decision, but I'll be glad you did. At this point, my few decisions are to

  • quit while I'm ahead. 
  • use YouTube rarely and cautiously from now on. 
  • keep using YouTube as a side hustle regardless of the risks that might come along and gnaw me on the butt.

With all that, what do you say?

What should I do?
 
  • At this point, it'd be best to quit while you're ahead. 
    • (0%, 0 Votes*)
  • You SHOULD keep your hopes up, but playing it safe sounds good, too.   
    • (100%, 1 Vote*)
  • I know things look bleak at the moment, but don't give up! I believe in you! 
    • (0%, 0 Votes*)

If you made a decision, thanks in advance! If you didn't make a decision and this poll ends up empty, I try to decide myself.

With all that said, if you've come this far, thanks for reading this post! See you later!

 * Hello, this is Reilly Hendrix from September 28, 2024. In the original Tumblr post, there was a poll with these choices exactly. Sadly, it'd be tough to replicate the results from the original poll and I don't even think Blogger HAS a poll option. With that said, the best I can do is to show the choices and then show which choices were voted the most.

Comments

Popular Posts